Russian and Belarusian Restricted Securities & Financial Institutions
In February 2022, the U.S. began issuing a series of sanctions that target investment in the Donetsk (DNR) and Luhansk (LHR) regions of Ukraine, Russian sovereign debt, the Russian financial system, and some individuals with ties to the Russian government. Click here to learn more about how these sanctions may affect the investments you may hold.
Securities with increased margin requirements and trading strategy limits
The following securities have additional requirements in place, and we will not be extending margin credit on some trading strategies. This is part of our normal course of business in situations of unusual volatility. You may continue to place buy and sell stock orders.
This list is as of January 5, 2022, 10:00 AM EST.
All stocks are marginable (requirement = 100%).
- There are no limitations on long calls and long puts for this stock.
- Custom spreads are not allowed, but standard spread orders are allowed.
- Spread orders allowed include: Verticals, Back/Ratio, Calendar, Diagonal, Straddle, Strangle, Covered Stock, Collar, Butterfly, Combo, Condor, Iron Condor, Vertical Roll, Collar with Stock, Double Diagonal and Double Calendar.
- Opening orders on short individual options are not allowed except for cash-secured puts or covered calls, which must be placed through a broker.
- If you currently own stock and wish to sell a covered call, you must do so with a broker. Please be aware that wait times to speak with a broker may be longer than normal due to current market conditions.
- If you have no position and wish to simultaneously buy stock and sell calls against it, you may enter the order as a covered stock (buy/write) order online.
Please keep in mind that security requirements/strategy limitations can be added and may change at any time, without notice due to volatility or other market conditions.
- We may also implement additional requirements on opening trades on options that expire.
- Short selling of stock is not allowed at this time.
- There are no additional requirements on long or short options at this time.
- We may implement additional requirements on opening trades on options the day they expire.
Please keep in mind that additional security and strategy requirements can be added and may change at any time, without notice due to volatility or other market conditions.
Trading in Over The Counter (OTC) stocks
For clients interested in trading non-exchange-traded, Over The Counter (OTC) stocks, the industry is currently experiencing unusually high trading volume and third-party market makers currently may be delayed or in certain limited circumstances unable to complete trades in certain OTC stocks. Some market makers may reject unmarketable sell limit orders with a limit price far away from the stock price. For more information, please visit Company Statements | About Schwab.
Educate yourself on the risks
Trading in extremely volatile markets presents a number of inherit risks as securities may move quickly up and down. TD Ameritrade continues to be committed to helping investors better understand what can be behind these moves and how to navigate the market impacts.
Here are a few of the many educational resources we have available to you:
Trading Micro Caps and Investing in Penny Stocks: A Big Look at the Tiny - The Ticker Tape
Stay up to date on the current market conditions. Our latest expert perspectives are always available on The Ticker Tape at tdameritrade.com/marketupdate.
Get real-time analysis and unparalleled strategy education into the day's market events from industry pros from the TD Ameritrade Network
TD Ameritrade Network is brought to you by TD Ameritrade Media Productions Company. TD Ameritrade Media Productions Company and TD Ameritrade, Inc. are separate but affiliated subsidiaries of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation. TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Charles Schwab Corporation. TD Ameritrade Media Productions Company is not a financial adviser, registered investment advisor, or broker-dealer.